Monday, April 9, 2012

Sociological/Philosophical


Recently we have been doing a few assessments on sociological/philosophical views and how the differ from each other. In the beginning I thought this task would be hard but found it to be rather interesting. I’ve learned the difference between the two and how to use them both on any novel or poem. While learning about the two I find it easier to view it in a sociological way. Sociological to me meant the meaning of the subject through the eyes of your novel or poem. It could have a deeper meaning but only what the read thinks it should be. On the other hand philosophical meant what the object means as a whole. It has something to do with the outside world, not only in the novel but also how u would analyze it in general. After assessing a poem and a novel on this subject I found it much easier to understand and get a better feel on when, how, and why you should use these two views. Overall both are great views and they have totally diverse meanings allowing you to have different ways to assess things which only makes you a better thinker/writer.

9 comments:

  1. I agree with you Jessica, at first I found it hard to differentiate between the two. I would add in philosophical type analysis questions with the sociological analysis. I think that by being able to use these views helps with my understanding of new texts.
    -Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Between you and me, it is still hard to distinguish the two. But your expansion on the meanings has really helped me out.
    -Jonathan S.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessica! i completely agree with you, I find it much easier to relate to things sociologically rather than philosophically. I feel that it is because our world is very materialistic so it is much easier to describe the material things than it is to look deeper into their meaning!

    Miriam Rizk(:

    ReplyDelete
  4. It has definitely become easier to differentiate the two, but I still find it much simpler to relate to things in a philosophical view rather than sociologically. Maybe it's because it's just easier for me to look at the more expanded picture of things.
    -Secada C.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It really did help a lot, but I agree that its easier to see the sociological point of view than the philosophical one because its literally just looking at the society the author creates and what that is saying about our society whereas a philosophical criticism would analyze the symbolic meaning of everything and what it is they symbol and what that tells us of ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  6. - Yahya Hafez

    -__- I really need to start remembering to put my name on these...

    ReplyDelete
  7. It really did help a lot, but I agree that its easier to see the sociological point of view than the philosophical one because its literally just looking at the society the author creates and what that is saying about our society whereas a philosophical criticism would analyze the symbolic meaning of everything and what it is they symbol and what that tells us of ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that it isn't really one is easier than the other, they're both difficult to analyze. But when someone view things in more sociological point of view or visa versa it is easier to point out those things when an author is writing.
      -Secada C.

      Delete
  8. I agree, when we were doing this assessment I found it was hard to differentiate between sociological and philosophical, because their general ideas seemed relatively similar to me. I do agree that the philosophical approach goes one step farther than the sociological approach. While you can take evidence from the text itself, and from your own thoughts to see a story from a sociological viewpoint, a philosophical viewpoint asks you to look at things even more deeply, to really see everything as a whole and to think about how it relates to the outside world.
    - Mia G.

    ReplyDelete