Friday, May 11, 2012

Because I Could Not Stop For Death by Emily Dickinson

Because I could not stop for Death – 
He kindly stopped for me –  
The Carriage held but just Ourselves –  
And Immortality.

We slowly drove – He knew no haste
And I had put away
My labor and my leisure too,
For His Civility – 

We passed the School, where Children strove
At Recess – in the Ring –  
We passed the Fields of Gazing Grain –  
We passed the Setting Sun – 

Or rather – He passed us – 
The Dews drew quivering and chill – 
For only Gossamer, my Gown – 
My Tippet – only Tulle – 

We paused before a House that seemed
A Swelling of the Ground – 
The Roof was scarcely visible – 
The Cornice – in the Ground – 

Since then – 'tis Centuries – and yet
Feels shorter than the Day
I first surmised the Horses' Heads 
Were toward Eternity – 


In this poem by Emily Dickison she expressed what she thinks of life by using literary devices and other ways to get her point across. Reading this poem right off the back I think her view on life is to get through life taking your time and enjoying it instead of it passing you by. Some of the devices she uses is personification, such as the word Death. When she says, "Because I could not stop for death; He kindly stopped for me." This is saying that she was able to get a second chance and an eye-opener for her. No one can stop for death because every day its getting closer and closer, and if you take life for granted, running through it as if it has no importance, your time will be up before you know it. All together she wrote this poem trying to warn everyone that they should enjoy life while they can because its passing you by without you even noticing.

No comments:

Post a Comment