Friday, May 11, 2012


Why I Dance

Why do I dance? Well, that is a really hard question… There are so many reasons as to why I dance that it's hard to explain, but I’ll do the best that I can. I dance because it gives me the freedom to be who I want to be. It allows me to express how I feel without any words at all- I can go into my own little corner and just dance and I immediately feel so much better. There are many times in life where a lot of people go through tough times and unfortunately, some may turn to things such as alcohol or drugs, or even both, but I turn to dancing. When I have bad days I like to play random music and just dance. Dancing helps the soul, or at least that is what I believe. Dancing is a safe haven for me, something that no one could ever take away from me. It has become a part of me and I will always find a way to incorporate dance into my life. Not only is dancing good for your soul, but it is also beneficial for the body. Dance provides a way of losing weight and keeping healthy without even thinking about it. Dance is an integral part of my life. That feeling that I get when I put on my jazz shoes and hit the dance floor is indescribable. I love being able to not only learn new things everyday, but to also experience being around people who love the same thing I do. It’s the best experience and feeling when everyone is willing to help you and also when you make new friends through dance. The best part about dancing is that you don’t have to be perfect. Dance allows anyone of any age to join. Dancing is an art that comes in various forms. You could be leaping gracefully across the room or simply swaying from side to side and it is still considered to be dancing. It has this amazing power to make others and more importantly, yourself happy. Who knew that something so simplistic could possibly bring so much gladness and joy to my life? I dance because it is me- it’s what I do. And I really could not imagine living a life that doesn’t involve dance.
“To dance is to be out of yourself. Larger, more beautiful, more powerful. “
~Agnes De Mille

No comments:

Post a Comment