Tuesday, May 1, 2012

The Joy Luck Club – What I Read That Truly Mattered and Impacted My Life

I LOVED reading the Joy Luck Club, and seeing as how I've got a bit of catching up to do, blog-wise, this is what I'm probably going to talk about for a while :)


I mean, sure, I had to read the Joy Luck Club as an assignment for my independent reading, but as I progressed through the novel, it became more than that. With every story, I found an aspect that I could relate to. I might not be a concubine, but I can understand the feelings and relate in terms of the respect that one of the characters' mothers had to endure. Whilst reading this book, I couldn't remember all the main characters' names quite clearly, after all, they were on the chapter titles. But it didn’t matter. 

What mattered was the story each girl told, either of old world living or a more modernized time. This novel provoked a lot of thought, especially when it came to relationships. Quite often, the focus was not on the individual's relationship itself, but the pressures, respects, and issues that had to do with it. I found myself reflecting on my own life when I was reading it, thinking that even though I am at a quite young age, there are already pressures on me, due solely to the fact that I have a Chinese boyfriend.

But relating to the Chinese culture didn't stop there. The customs I had become so long adapted to were presented before me, something I just did but never understood why. Though my mother is also catholic, she still to this day, practices the way of our ancestors, praying to the many deities they also believed in. Whilst reading this book, despite a slight culture difference being they were primarily Mandarin while I am Cantonese, the relations were impeccable. Long standing traditions that I did not even realize our two very similar, yet also different cultures shared were in there, and sometimes, I even got a little Mandarin lesson along the way, much to the chagrin to my boyfriend, another Mandarin speaker.

This book inspired me, encouraged me to push through it, for it was entirely worth it. It took me longer than I expected, but as I pursued, I was rewarded with a lifelong lesson and understanding that I never dreamed possible, all from reading a book! The characters, entirely relatable to me, seemed almost too real, as if they were singling me out, and talking solely to me. Though I know this not to be true, it also brought another perspective to my attention: how do those without the background that I have, understand the true meaning of the stories these women have to share with us? Surely, people may be able to cope, but I feel that without my previous experience, I'd feel something missing. And that's what I feel like this book was to me: something that was missing. Something that mattered so much that I recommend it to all of my "Asian friends", for I hope that they have the same appreciation that I have had upon reading this enticing and completely mesmerizing novel.

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like your novel made a big impact on you. The adaptation of cultures sounds really interesting. Would you reccommend it to your "non-asian friends"?

    -Collin G.

    ReplyDelete