Thursday, May 3, 2012

How to Survive in The Hunger Games

So I've finally jumped on the bandwagon, and read/watched the Hunger Games.  Funny thing about my experience with it: I got a book from Ms. Visconti that was missing the first two chapters, so I read chapters 3-5. Then on a random impulse one day, I saw it in theatres. The thing about me, is that though I try to avoid doing this, I usually see the movie before reading the books, much to the chagrin of many people when I tell them this. A few days later, I started reading the book, from the VERY beginning. A few MORE days later, and I finished it! The Hunger Games, though a very simple book to read, boasts the same kind of credibility that is comparable to Harry Potter: it is aimed towards children, but nearly everyone can love it. And I do indeed love it.
*SPOILER ALERT*
I'll try to avoid giving spoilers, but I make no promises.
After all, you've been warned ;)

Taking place many years from now, after an unspecified war, there is no North America anymore, just the majestic Panem. To keep everyone conformist to their idea of government, the Capitol hosts the Hunger Games, a concept similar to the Olympics. Though the Hunger Games is supposedly for "district pride", it's more than that. Some people from certain districts do train, but for the most part, it's involuntary: your name is entered so you may get more food. Hence the name, The "Hunger Games"; you essentially have to put your name in, or your family will starve. Immense pressures are placed to put your name multiple times in, but don't think that if you're rich, you'll completely get away with it. The odds will just slightly be better.

Essentially, the Capitol hosts these games so their tyrannical selves may have some entertainment whilst they live in the lap of luxury. Even the games itself are controlled by the Capitol, primarily the Gamemakers. The Games, a cruel and unusual mockery of the poorer districts, holds an important moral however: life isn't always fair.

This is a theme prevalent throughout the novel, already starting with withdrawal of names, the odds depending on how poor you are. In the richer districts, being a tribute isn't necessarily forced, children train to be selected all their lifes, and these tributes tend to win: the Careers. As the name suggests, they make a career out of it: they train intensely, and when it's their time, they accept the job, well prepared and experienced. However, it doesn't stop there: as a direct result of the richer districts being able to train outside of prior to Reaping Day, the poorer districts don't stand a chance. The Hunger Games becomes a slaughterhouse for the poorer districts, who hardly even receive gifts to come to their aid. Even further, the Careers can form an alliance to eliminate the "easy kills", rendering the others nearly defenseless. It's a game of hide and seek, and you better hope you're not found.

Survival depends on many factors during the Hunger Games, and every little fighting chance you've got, you better take it. Because if you don't, then well...MAY THE ODDS BE IN YOUR FAVOUR.

2 comments:

  1. Kristen!
    I completely agree with you! The book was very easy to read and it was a great book. The author left out no detail. But since you read and watched themovie I was curious to know which one you liked better?
    Miriam Rizk(:

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading this book too! It was definitely one of the best dystopian novels that I have read. I really loved how they kept us in suspense. The movie lacked a lot of details though, did you enjoy the book or the movie better?
    -Millicent L.

    ReplyDelete